Friday, August 17, 2012

Chicken with Hoisin Sauce

A simple chicken stir-fry dish. Quick, easy and perfect as a main dish with rice! I was actually looking for a quick dish to prepare for dinner, as I had some errands to do in the late afternoon which would take me a couple of hours. So I browsed through a copy of stir-fry cookbook and decided on this easy dish. I marinated the chicken and left it in the fridge, covered, went out to do my errands and came back about 3 hours later, and cooked this easy dish.



Make sure you take out the marinated chicken from the fridge about 20 minutes before cooking. This dish uses very few ingredients.


Hoisin Sauce


Of course, as usual, I doubled up on the amount of spring onions!  :) The chicken are really tender since they are marinated with the cornflour and other ingredients for 3 whole hours.


This dish is good with plain white rice, and I'm sure if you are serving this to kids, they will love it.
.
The original version uses turkey meat and addition of cashew nuts, but I've simplified it with some changes.


I'm sharing this with :
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Chicken with Hoisin Sauce
500gm chicken fillet, cubed
4 tbsp cooking oil
3 large garlic, thinly sliced
8 scallions, white and green parts separated, diagonally sliced into 1" pieces
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
3 tbsp hoisin sauce


Marinade :
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherrry
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tsp sesame oil


To make the marinade, mix the cornstarch and rice wine to a paste. Add the pepper, salt, egg white, and sesame oil, mixing well. Put the chicken in a shallow dish, and add the marinade, turning to coat well. Let stand for 30 minutes. (I left the marinated chicken in the fridge for three hours).
Heat a wok, preferably nonstick, over a high heat, then add 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and white parts of the scallions, and stir for a few seconds to flavour the oil. Add the chicken and reduce the heat slightly. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes, until chicken turns light brown on both sides. Sprinkle with the rice wine. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Increase heat to high, then add the remaining oil. Swirl the oil around the wok, then stir in the hoisin sauce. Return the chicken mixture to the wok and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, turning to coat, until cooked through.
Add the green parts of the scallion. Transfer to a warmed serving dish, and serve immediately.

24 comments:

  1. chicken in hoisin sauce looks so tempting, like the addition of green onions in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Joyce - this looks perfect for a quick and easy mid-week dinner. I love the idea of being able to put the chicken in marinade before I go off to work, and then a simple flavourful dinner is just moments away when I come home. This one is definitely on my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially with loads of spring onions as well. The chicken looks so tender and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come for lunch now? I am hungry and your chicken looks delicious! I just bought that bottle of sauce too, now I know what to do with it:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very delicious ... I can have extra rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never try this hoisin sauce before. But their char siew sauce is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahah! I got a bottle of hoisin sauce in the cupboard ***rubbing hands together*** I can try your recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is your errand? buy books ah? haha! hoi sin chicken..never tried that but sounds yummy, i will like them with lots of spring onions too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very flavourful and perfect with some rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup , more rice , please ?! lol This dish looks simply yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a simple but delicious dish on busy days! This sounds very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. simple and yummy, my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hoisin sauce! I use it as a dipping sauce for chicken bites.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you girl! The more spring onions the better :) Great looking dish

    ReplyDelete
  15. A simple and delicious dish. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wah, makan with nasi panas, boleh bertambah tambah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tempting recipe ..super delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesSaturday, August 18, 2012

    I will bookmark this. I m sure my children will like it: )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi friends,
    Thank you for stopping by! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! Saw this hoisin sauce at Asian store yesterday but now after looking at this yummy dish, I think I'm going back to the store to get it ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried this recipe yesterday, my hubby & boys love it! Will be making cooking this recipe very often coz it's really delicious. Thanks for sharing, Joyce! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kit, I'm really glad that your family enjoys it too! Am always glad to share! You have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  21. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete