Friday, January 17, 2014

Crispy Spiced Thai Chicken

"Passport to Asia", is our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are cooking from Donna Hay's recipes. I have chosen this simple dish Crispy Spiced Thai Chicken, which really is just so easy, that it was done in just minutes! 


There really isn't much preparation, aside from the chopping of the kaffir lime leaves, red chilli and the coriander leaves, and which takes just a couple of minutes. The chicken fillet is marinated with egg white, rice flour, the chopped herbs and sesame seeds. I have added in a pinch of salt to taste even though the recipe do not require it, as there is a dipping sauce that goes with the dish. But I prefer the chicken to be properly seasoned. The chicken fillet are fried with just a little oil on both sides until brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side, drain and serve on greens with the dipping sauce on the side.

A very tasty chicken dish, I prefer eating it without the dipping sauce, as it is tasty on its own. This is great for lunch or a light dinner, if you are eating alone, as it really is fuss-free and in less than half an hour, you would be enjoying your meal!

Crispy Spiced Thai Chicken
(source from donnahay.com)
3 chicken breast fillets, quartered
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons fine rice flour
2 red chillies, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2-3 tablespoons peanut oil
watercress sprigs, to serve (I use shredded lettuce leaves)

dipping sauce :
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I use lime juice)
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Combine the chicken, egg white, rice flour, chilli, coriander, lime leaves and sesame seeds in a bowl. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.

To make the dipping sauce, place the soy, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Serve the chicken on some watercress with dipping sauce on the side.  Serves 4.



To view what the others are making for this week's theme, drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Want to join us? Find out more details from here.

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized


20 comments:

  1. Very easy to cook and lovely to look at Thai chicken. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! looks like a lovely chicken dish.. i love those spices... i can consider making a thai chicken burger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I'm also a sucker for quick and easy recipes. Yours looks so yummy and crisp!! I will try this recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does sound very simple and am sure it's very fragrant from the kaffir lime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dish, I am collecting all the recipes I can for chicken breast and this recipe is bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wah sedapnya! Dah buat peanut cookies? Gua ada ka dapat special punya? Kakaka

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantàstico plato muy buena realizaciòn me gusta,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce , love Thai foods and love all the ingrediens , so this is on my menu . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fast, easy and delicious is my favorite way to cook. Thanks for sharing. I would really enjoy it with the dipping sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. I love cooking Asian themed meals at home. It is much healthier and not expensive. Take-out is very costly these days. Delicious. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and easy, just how I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love a piece of that chicken. The recipe looks so simple, but sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to remember this quick, easy dish. Perfect for a busy night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So easy and I love all of the color on the plate. It definitely livens up a simple chicken breast. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Deb's comment above. I think this is a fantastic way to liven up a simple chicken breast. I can almost taste how flavorful and terrific this would be. I'm definitely pinning this to make in the future. Thanks for pointing out such a terrific recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have bookmarked this one. Love the combination of flavours. I'm thinking maybe fish?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the flavours of this chicken as well as the dipping sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love anything that can be whipped up in a few minutes, and the colours and flavourings of this dish make it a winner in my book. Can't wait to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. kaffir lime leaves makes everything taste better!

    ReplyDelete