Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quick Spaghetti and Meatballs

The kids requested for pasta dinner last week. Found this easy recipe from The Deen Bros. website. I made the sauce a few hours earlier, which is a time saver. I have a few extra hours in the evening,  and managed to clear some stuffs from my potted garden which I've been postponing for weeks. When it was almost dinner time, I simply cook the spaghetti till al dente, reheat the sauce and dinner is ready. 


The meatball takes only minutes to mix and shape into balls. They are then fried in a little oil till brown all over, and even though the recipe calls for marinara sauce, I have used spaghetti sauce with basil, which is poured into the saucepan. You can use any of your favourite sauce. I have added in a can of button mushrooms, roughly sliced. Bring the sauce to a simmer, turning the meatballs now and then, for about 20 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper if necessary. Keep warm, and reheat just before serving.


The meatballs are really delicious, especially so, before the sauce was added in. I fried one meatball to check on the seasoning, and they were so good! My son was asking for more and was disappointed that the rest was cooked with the sauce.


Serve with some sprinkling of grated Parmesan, and some shredded basil leaves. A very nice meal, quick, simple and yummy! 


Quick Spaghetti and Meatballs
(adapted from thedeenbros.com)
1 pound ground beef (I use ground pork)
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
1/4 cup plain unseasoned bread crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons The Lady's House Seasoning (I use salt to taste, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons olive oil
One 24-ounce jar marinara sauce (I use basil spaghetti sauce)
1 pound spaghetti

In a bowl, combine the beef, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg, house seasoning and oregano. Use your hands to form the mixture into 2-inch round meatballs.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes total, or until golden brown. Add the marinara sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink. Cover and keep warm.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain well. Divide the spaghetti among four shallow bowls and top with the meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Servings : 4

*************************


I'm linking this post to : Cook Like A Star event, featuring Paula Deen and The Deen Brothers, hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy KidsDiana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,

    I'm trying to figure the identity of the brown flakes on your pasta... Now, I know it's garlic powder! Great idea to cook the meatball ahead :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so delicious and packed full with flavour! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, your pasta looks delicious! I want extra meatballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having "Quick Spaghetti and Meatballs this week too Joyce. Thank goodness I made a huge pot of sauce and froze it before I left for Idaho!

    Yours looks delicious! Can't wait to see your garden!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce , meatballs and spaghetti is welcome at my house any day of the week ;-D thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those meatballs do sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the kind of dish that my son loves to cook, he too prepare his sauce ahead of time, a real time saver step:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! Next time make more meatballs!!! There can never be enough meatballs! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce! This is family's type of food. Simple but yet delicious! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete