Monday, July 7, 2014

Homemade Tots

A week ago, I wanted to make some french fries and the recipe calls for the cut potatoes to be boiled for a few minutes. By the time I checked on the potatoes, they have turned very, very soft! There goes my french fries! So I kept the soft mushy potatoes in the fridge and later on that night, sourced for some recipes for my mushy potatoes. Found this Homemade Tots from "The Book of Burger" by Rachael Ray, which I knew that my kids would love. So I made these for their after school snack. 


The potatoes are mashed and mixed with grated onion, flour, egg and chopped rosemary, season with some salt and pepper. This mixture is rolled on floured surface into 1-inch thick logs and cut into tots. Fry them in hot oil until golden and crisp, drain on kitchen paper towel and serve warm.

My notes : The mixture is very sticky. Some extra flour can be added into the mixture, but I did not add any. I place a big scoop of mixture onto a generously floured work surface, and flour my hands well. Shape it into a log and cut into tots (you may need to lightly flour your cutting knife), then I dropped the tots into a bowl filled with some flour, coat the tots all around with flour, you may need to adjust their shape as they are very soft. Drop them gently into the hot oil, fry until golden brown on all sides, transfer to kitchen paper towel to drain off excess oil. 
p/s : to check on the seasoning before frying the whole batch, shape a tablespoon of the mixture and fry until golden brown. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.


These are yummy and fun to eat, especially when served with ....


...... some garlic mayonnaise. I added some garlic powder to a small bowl of mayonnaise, stir to blend well, and sprinkle with more garlic powder for serving (I love garlic powder!). I've got to whipped up a second bowl of garlic mayonnaise, yes, we love it! The whole batch was gobbled up by the three of us!  :)


Homemade Tots
(adapted from "The Book of Burgers", Rachael Ray)
6 medium starchy potatoes, such as Idahos, peeled and cubed
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons finely grated onion
1/4 cup flour, plus more for rolling
1 large egg
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
pepper
peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying

Cook the potatoes in a large pot of well-salted boiling water until tender. Drain the potatoes well and pass them through a rice into a large bowl. Add the grated onion (grate it right over the bowl), flour, egg, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
On a floured surface, roll the potato mix into 1-inch-thick logs and cut into tots.
Fill a countertop fryer with oil or pour a few inches of oil into a large Dutch oven. Heat the oil to 350F. (The oil is ready when a 1-inch cube of white bread cooks to golden brown in 40 seconds.) Fry the tots in small batches until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season the cooked tots with a little extra salt.

*********************



17 comments:

  1. Ooo..this looks like another yummy recipe to try. My must-cook list is getting longer by the day! ~.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, I'm not surprised that these tots disappeared very quickly! I've got to try that garlic mayonnaise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a new recipe to me:)thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,

    My tummy is growling now browsing all these yummy LTU potato dishes... Your tots were gone already. Hate the thought that there is nothing left for me :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am HUNGRY just staring at those tots! They are very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, deep-fried + potato is such a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like ang moh bagidil to me.. Is that how you spell that? I simply love these...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce, these deep - fried golden tots are simply delicious ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo nice! I'm sure these are very delicious. Garlic mayo is our choice of dip whenever we eat French fries etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's using the ol' noodle Joyce. I may just like these kind of tater tots more than the regular kind and certainly more than the frozen kind, lol...Garlic Mayo? Very nice touch!

    Thanks for sharing Joyce...

    P.S. ♫♪♫♪♫♪Happy Birthday To You♫♪♫♪♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks yummy, I think my kids will like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potatoes and these tots look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds good and nice to serve with mayonnaise !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce,
    I cook that french fries too. They are delicious!!
    Your tots looks so good. My kids would ask for more please!!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  15. My children will be so happy if I made these tots. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce! My children and I can easily finished up all these within the next few minutes. I have to double or even triple the portion.

    ReplyDelete