Saturday, April 23, 2016

Sweet & Salty Popcorn

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), the theme is "Something To Eat On The Sofa!". I've made one of Curtis Stones's (the current featured chef at IHCC),  popcorn recipe, Sweet & Salty Popcorn, which I got from the website coles.com before the recipes became unavailable. 



These popcorn are made using maple syrup, of which I did not have any, so I've used Lyle's Golden Syrup, Maple Flavoured. I love Lyle's Golden Syrup which I always have in my pantry, and think that it is a wonderful substitute for Maple Syrup.  



Popping Corn kernels and Lyle's Golden Syrup. I love Lyle's Golden Syrup which I always have in my pantry, and think that it is a wonderful substitute for Maple Syrup.  



These popcorn are addictive! But they are not as crunchy like the ones we buy from the snack corner at the movies. My kids and hubby never fail to get their tubs of popcorn whenever we go for a movie. Not me though, I would pinch from their tubs if I want, but most times I prefer not to snack when at the cinema. At home is entirely different though!  :)

According to the tip by Curtis Stone, these popcorn would not set hard and crunchy because maple syrup is used. For a crunchier popcorn, replace half the maple syrup with sugar. I've made these using all golden syrup and even though they are not as crunchy, these are really yummy to eat. With the butter and the golden syrup, it has a delicious buttery butterscotch flavour. A big bowl of these yummy popcorn is just what you need when lazying on your sofa watching your favourite TV show. According to my son, these popcorn are even better than the ones they always buy from the snack corner at the cinema! I still have about 2 cups of popping corn kernels, so I'll be making more popcorns real soon. I think I'll try Curtis Stone's suggestion to replace half the maple syrup with sugar for a crunchier bite, just to see the difference.  


Sweet & Salty Popcorn
(adapted from coles.com by Curtis Stone)
Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use 3 tablespoons)
1/3 cup Popping corn (I use 1/2 cup)
75gm butter, chopped
3/4 cup Maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt flakes (I use scant 1/4 tsp, as the butter is salted)
2/3 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped (optional) (omitted this)

Method :
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Stir in corn. Cover and cook, shaking pan, for 3 minutes or until corn has popped. Pour into a large heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool.
  2. Place butter, maple syrup and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened slightly.
  3. Drizzle maple mixture and nuts (if using) over popcorn. Toss gently to coat. Spread popcorn on a tray lined with baking paper. Set aside to cool.
Tip : This popcorn won't set hard and crunchy as maple syrup is used instead of sugar. If you want crunchy popcorn, replace half  the maple syrup with caster sugar. Store popcorn in an airtight container for up to 2 days.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
Something To Eat On The Sofa!




11 comments:

  1. What a fun theme for this week, Joyce. A fun theme to go with a fun snack!

    I've been on such a Cracker Jacks kick these days. I really should make my own sweet popcorn with maple syrup. From your directions, it really seems simple. Maple Syrup is still flowing in these parts. If I can find some I think I'll give it a try.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great category, "something to eat on the sofa!" I would've never thought to add syrup to the popcorn, it sounds delicious! A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fun recipe to make. I am going to bookmark this for a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who can resist some crunchy butterscotch flavored popcorn on the couch or at the movie? Good move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great recipe for a movie night on the sofa, I also wanted to make this recipe but I decided for crackers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, my kids and husband are the same as yours. They go crazy for popcorn at the movies and I usually don't care to eat at the theatre. If I do get a snack it is usually something sweet.

    This looks like a recipe I need to try. I've never used the Lyle's Golden Syrup (it's hard to find here) but I do love maple syrup and bet that would be yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun and perfect for movie munching on the couch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, this is the ultimate sofa food! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting, but I like the salty one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think popcorn is the ultimate snack food to be enjoyed on the sofa and this sweet and salty version sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks a lot like the caramel popcorn we buy. Sometimes with peanuts in it. It's called CrackerJack and it is great. This one looks great. And easy. LOVE popcorn.

    ReplyDelete