Thursday, September 28, 2017

Oven-Baked Shallot and Mushroom Risotto

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), we are saying goodbye and thank you to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. His time as our featured chef is up after a delicious 6 months of cooking from his recipes. It's time we move on to another selected chef, Ina Garten. To say Goodbye Hugh!, I've made his Oven-Baked Shallot and Mushroom Risotto



This is really quick and easy, no cooking on the stove at all, it is all cooked in the oven. I've used fresh shiitake mushroom instead of chestnut mushrooms, and did not have any fresh thyme, so I've used what I had, fresh coriander stalks. 

Shallots are peeled and quartered, then toss with some oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large roasting tray. Bake for 30 minutes, then add the garlic, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Into the oven for another 15 minutes. Then add the risotto rice, stir to coat the rice, then add the stock. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes, stir once halfway through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


I must say that this is quite a tasty rice meal. The rice is drizzled with some chilli oil before serving. Even though the risotto is good as it is, but it is even better with the chilli oil. I've used my homemade chilli oil. This is such a simple, tasty and filling meal.

The next featured chef at IHCC is Ina Garten. We will be cooking from her recipes for the next six months starting from Oct 2nd. Everyone is welcome to join us, you can get the full details here.


Oven-Baked Shallot and Mushroom Risotto
(adapted from River Cottage Light & Easy, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall)
serves 4
2 tablespoon extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
300gm shallots, peeled and quartered lengthways
a few good sprigs of thyme
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
300gm chestnut mushrooms, destalked and cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (ideally apple balsamic)
250gm risotto rice
1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
chilli oil (bought or home-made), to fnish

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Put the oil, shallots, thyme and some salt and pepper in a large roasting in and toss together well. Roast for 30 minutes, then add the garlic, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Stir well and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Tip the risotto rice into the tin and stir to coat lightly with the oils and flavourings, then add the hot stock and stir again. Return to the oven for 30 minutes, giving it a good stir halfway through.
Let the risotto settle for 5 minutes, then taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Spoon into warm dishes, removing the thyme stalks as you go. Serve, trickled with the chilli oil.

****** 

This is not really goodbye Hugh, rather goodbye for now, till we meet again in Potluck Weeks! Here's the top three of my favourite dishes which I've cooked from HFW's recipes ;





I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Goodbye, Hugh!


and 
 I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #21 hosted by 



8 comments:

  1. It looks very yum and I love this fuss free and easy oven version. Thanks for sharing, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm.... I love risotto, but sadly my husband isnt keen on it. Its like watching a 3 year old trying to finish his meal on days I do make rissoto, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummm.... I love risotto, but sadly my husband isnt keen on it. Its like watching a 3 year old trying to finish his meal on days I do make rissoto, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! A very tasty roundup, indeed! The oven risotto sounds perfect for when you're craving risotto but don't have time to stand and stir. I love the combo of mushrooms and shallots (and have learned I prefer shallots to onions- they have a much more pleasant and mellow oniony flavor).

    Your tempura is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always time for a delicious risotto

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard not to like something delicious that doesn't require any work once you put it in the oven! I'll bet the flavor was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That risotto looks delectable with the shallots and mushrooms and you have to love how easy it is too. you made some delicious dishes with Hugh--looking forward to seeing what you cook with Ina!

    ReplyDelete