Monday, October 23, 2017

Slow-Cooked Garlic Courgettes

It's Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). I've not made any of Diana Henry's recipes for quite a while, and it's time I revisit her book, Food From Plenty. I bought two zucchinis a few days before and was looking for recipes to use them up, found this delicious sounding dish, Slow-Cooked Garlic Courgettes. There's garlic, so it must be delicious!

The only ingredients required for this dish are just courgettes and garlic. Can never get simpler than this! Diana Henry uses 6 garlic cloves, but I have used 10 fat garlic cloves, might as well since it is all about the garlicky flavour! Peel and slice the garlic thinly, and the courgettes are sliced into thin rounds, the thickness of a coin. Heat some butter and olive oil, then saute the garlic slices until soft and fragrant, tip in the sliced courgettes, increase the heat so that the courgettes get a bit of colour, then reduce heat and continue to cook until the courgettes are soft and almost collapsing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.



The courgettes will release some its own water, so this dish is fairly moist.



Yum yum! The courgettes is very soft, tender and smells so nice from the garlic. I can understand why Diana Henry says she could eat a plateful on its own! I serverd this as a side dish with some stew and pilaf rice, sharing that in next post.


Slow-Cooked Garlic Courgettes
(adapted from Food From Plenty, Diana Henry)
"Heat 15gm (1/2oz) unsalted butter and 3 tbsp olive oil in a very large frying pan and gently cook 6 garlic cloves, very finely sliced, until soft but not coloured. Now add 500gm (1lb 2oz) courgettes sliced to the thickness of a pound coin, and turn over to coat. Increase the heat a bit so the courgettes get a little bit of colour, then reduce the heat, season and cook slowly (you almost "stew" them in the butter and oil) until completely soft, almost collapsing. This tastes purely of courgetts and doesn't need anything else. I can eat a plateful on their own."

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs IHCC), theme for this week
October 2017 Potluck


and

 I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #22 hosted by 

10 comments:

  1. this is my kind of recipe :) just two ingrdients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple, yet so delicious. I am going to prepare this next weekend, I like the idea so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, these look good! I would amp up the garlic too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This proves once again that simple can be best! It looks great and thanks for the recipe, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m a big fan of courgettes, will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned a new word, courgetts. The zucchini looks delicious and an easy recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you always amp up the flavor profile:) I'm with you, garlic makes everything delicious. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have zucchini around. This sure sounds delicious and easy,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the British word for zucchini ;-) These look delicious

    ReplyDelete